Saturday, December 5, 2009

I love this time of year

For obvious reasons. It's not oppressively hot and I don't have to shower five times a day. I actually enjoy the shorter days at times. I'm just a autumn/winter kind of girl. I really enjoy Christmas of course, but also New Years eve. David and I pray at midnight every year, asking that God forgive us of our sins, guide us in the year to come, and to thank Him for a new year. It's a tradition that I look forward to every year.

Also, many major changes have happened to me in the winter months, many awe-inspiring things. In December 1999 (December 21, winter solstice, to be exact), I legitimately accepted Christ and decided to try to follow His teachings. I had grown up going to church and had it drilled into me from an early age, but it didn't truly mean anything to me until then. This is when I began my relationship with God, my Saviour. There have been a few bumps in the road on my part, but this day set me down the path I believe I will follow through eternity. I fell in love with Jesus, truly.

In January 2002, I met David Randall Perkins at Hinds in Raymond. I noticed him immediately but never thought the feelings would be requited. He did, however, ask me out and we began dating the following month. We spent many happy days in the campus library, dodging the cold and the rain. We challenged each other mentally and spiritually. It was truly a miracle.

Almost a year to the date that we met, on January 17, 2003, we married in Florida. We had a short honeymoon and walked on the near deserted beach. It was truly a piece of heaven on earth.

I know it sounds silly, but every year when it gets cool/cold for the first time, it reminds me of God's love for me, and His grace.

No comments: