Monday, May 10, 2010

Turning the other cheek

Recently, I was having a conversative with someone. He was having a difficult time with a person in his life that only wanted to be antagonistic and start arguments every single time they interacted. This person had gone so far as to spread rumors about him, in addition to picking fights with him at every available opportunity. I told him that, one thing God has taught me is that it takes two people to argue. We began discussing what it means to turn the other cheek.

"Turn the other cheek" is an expression that is used so often that it has almost lost its original meaning. From the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5), Jesus said, "You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'[g] 39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."

This really puts things into perspective for me. Turning the other cheek is not simple and it's not fun. Jesus means, literally, once someone has smacked you in the face, turn your face and let them smack the crap out of the other side too. Wow.

Now, I was in no position to preach to my friend regarding this issue whatsoever. I have a really difficult time controlling my temper, and I've been known to start arguments over minor misunderstandings. I jokingly say that it's the redhead in me, but I really, really want to work on this. This is probably the thing I struggle with the most in life.

Jesus goes on to say to pray for your enemies, and to bless those who persecute you. I'm also really bad about gossipping. This is something I'm really trying to change. I open my mouth without thinking. I guess by sharing this with others, I'm hoping whoever is reading this will help me.

No comments: