Saturday, November 13, 2010

I'm now the office pariah...

So, about four months ago at work, we had a shift bid and I was assigned a new manager and a few new faces that I sat near (I work in a call center of a couple hundred). The gal that sat next to me (across the cube wall) and I struck up an instant "office friendship" (we never hung out outside of work but we were very friendly). She is a huge Twilight fan too. She and I were really cool. She kept joking around that Dav and I need to go ahead and have kids since we've been married so long.

Then.

I had a series of panic attacks at work. Two or three over the course of a few days. I have a myriad of mental health problems: obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety, depression, and rapid cycling bipolar disorder. Well, I've finally found a combination of meds that seem to work (two anti depressant/ssri's, two benzos- xanax and klonopin, and an antipsychotic for the bipolar - abilify). Anyway, ever since then... this gal has turned cold toward me. Half the time, she doesn't even answer me when I have a question. When she does, she usually gives short, facetious responses. Gone are the days of banter about cute celebrities and Twilight and True Blood. The people that sit around me have seemed less friendly lately, too. I even asked her one day why she never joked about me having children anymore and she basically said she thought I was too crazy for kids. At first, I thought she was kidding, but then she told me I needed to work some things about before I had kids (sorry I didn't get pregnant in high school).

Anyway... this really sucks. People are really cold and rude toward me for no reason. I want to say something about it. Anytime she says something facetious, I'll fire something just as snarky (joking) back at her, and she gets pissed. She can dish it out but can't take it. I can't stand the work environment I'm in. Every once in while, she is nice to me! I'm starting to wonder if SHE'S bipolar.

I could do the easy thing and cry racism (I am one of the few caucasians that work in my office), but I just really don't think that's it. Everyone is so rude to me, though. Another gal that sits near me is called by everyone I work with "Tricky." I called her that one day and she yelled at me, "You don't know me like that!!" Later that day, she asked me for a favor and I said, "Well, I don't know. Apparently I don't know you like that."

How can I deal with this in a Christlike way? I'm sick of being run over, but at the same time I don't want to be unnecessarily rude or a tattle tale. She isn't harrassing me; she is just being really cold and distant. This sucks.

No comments: